Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Documentaries

Those of you who know me well, know I am a total nerd when it comes to learning random facts and stories. I adore books like Freakonomics, Fish Sticks and basically anything by Malcolm Gladwell. 

I think my love of documentaries is in line with my obsession to learn, well, everything I can.
Yesterday, I watched two slightly older documentaries on Netflix and was fascinated by both.

The first was Jesus Camp (2006) which is a little more controversial, but intensely interesting. My family had to drag me away from the TV to have lunch because I didn't want to stop watching. Essentially, Jesus Camp is a film directed by Rachel Grady and Heidi Ewing about an evangelical Christian summer camp. 

The second was Freakonomics: The Movie which was directed by Heidi Ewing, Seth Gordon, Alex Gibney, Eugene Jarecki, Morgan Spurlock and Rachel Grady. It is basically Steven Levitt's Freakonomics (the book) adapted to the big screen. However, the visual imagery helps explain Levitt's theory of incentive-based thinking clearly and provides some real-world examples beyond the book. Definitely a good alternative for those people who don't love reading, but I much preferred the actual text.

Watching these two movies got me thinking about watching others. I now realize that I see a lot of more political/activist documentaries (think: Sicko, Food Inc., An Inconvenient Truth, Bowling for Columbine, etc.) so I've made a list of documentaries I'm excited to watch during my upcoming study abroad (hello long transit times), that are more focused on art and pop culture- I seriously cannot believe I haven't seen some of these! 


We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks (2013)
A documentary that details the creation of Julian Assange's controversial website, which facilitated the largest security breach in U.S. history.



As an aspiring journalist, I am constantly thinking about privacy and its relationship to news. As technology increases exponentially, we are now forced to think about how we define privacy, especially in the context of the internet. I know this film will certainly be thought provoking!

Catfish (2010)
Young filmmakers document their colleague's budding online friendship with a young woman and her family which leads to an unexpected series of discoveries.




Embarrassingly enough, I used to be addicted to the TV show Catfish. I think this is a reflection my childhood obsession with detective stories (I also love watching TV shows like CSI, Law and Order, etc). I am so excited to watch the documentary that started it all.

The September Issue (2009)
A documentary chronicling Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour's preparations for the 2007 fall-fashion issue.



Somehow, this film totally slipped by me. All I know is that the topic is right up my alley and I can't wait to get an up close look at magazine production.

Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010)
The story of how an eccentric French shop keeper and amateur film maker attempted to locate and befriend Banksy, only to have the artist turn the camera back on its owner. The film contains footage of Banksy, Shephard Fairey, Invader and many of the world's most infamous graffiti artists at work.



I have seen a lot of Banksy's artwork in person and have read numerous articles on the artist, but have heard rave reviews about this film. The timing could not be better as Banksy has left his mark on Italy too!

Shut Up & Play the Hits (2012)
On April 2nd 2011, LCD Soundsystem played its final show at Madison Square Garden. Documenting this once in a life time performance and an intimate portrait of James Murphy as he navigates the lead-up to the show, the day after, and the personal and professional ramifications of his decision.




My high school self was totally devastated when LCD Soundsystem broke up (why?!), so I think this documentary will provide some clarity. Plus, I absolutely love watching documentaries about musicians (trust me, I've seen every Beatles movie there is) so I look forward to listening to some great music while the story unfolds.

Hearts of Darkness (1991)
Documentary that chronicles how Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse Now (1979) was plagued by extraordinary script, shooting, budget, and casting problems--nearly destroying the life and career of the celebrated director.




Apocalypse Now is a simply incredible film. In fact, it is one of my favorites (and somehow the book Heart of Darkness is too). This behind-the-scenes look will definitely enhance my understanding of the film.

Happy watching!
xoxo


09 10 11 12
Blogging tips