Saturday, March 8, 2014

Upgrade with an Updo

I love mixing and matching clothes, jewelry and accessories but there's one thing I rarely change: my hair. I have extremely straight hair with side bangs that I actually really like mainly because it's low maintenance- I wash it daily with shampoo and conditioner, occasionally apply some kind of finishing product (although it isn't necessary unless I want to curl it) and blow dry for about 5-7 minutes and voila- done! This is perfect for me on "normal days," but other times I want to change things up. And by that I don't mean just curling it (although I like how it looks when I do that), I mean I actually want to learn how to make my hair look good in an up do.

Sometimes I'm not sure if this will look good given that I'm 5' 7 and don't want my head to look tiny, but I think a piece-y or loose look that keeps my bangs forward might end up looking really nice. 

Here are the looks I've been loving and tips I've found for achieving the perfect updo:




Ponytails and buns are super easy for every day- especially during finals. However, to take your pony tail to a higher level, add a volumizing mousse to your hair before you blow dry. Then, keeping the natural part in your hair, sweep up the sides. Pull a few pieces forward on both sides (especially important for  gals with side bangs to keep them from looking uneven).

Play with adding curls using a curling iron or straightening your hair if it is naturally curly. In terms of the elastic, I usually prefer to use a neutral color and then wrap a piece of my own hair around it so it is blended in. However here are a few adorable hair ties that I just love:

Hair Baubles

Hair Accessories

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips