Saturday, December 28, 2013

Review of Alexa Chung's It and Reading List

I'm an English major, so naturally I love to read. Every year I ask for a number of books for Christmas. And spend the weeks following just completely immersed in new reading material. I finished the first book I asked for today, Alexa Chung's It


It is a compilation of model, style icon, TV personality and contributing writer for British Vogue Alexa Chung's thoughts and inspirations. The book features a number of photographs of Chung and the things she loves, which make it read sort of like a series of photo essays.

It is so excellent. I love Chung's writing- it is witty, honest and conversational. By the end of the book I felt like I knew her- or at least some part of her. Filled with personal anecdotes and unfiltered musings, It is more of a journal than an autobiography. 

On a fashion level, Alexa Chung's inspirations are diverse, ranging from Mick Jagger to Jane Birkin to Wednesday Addams. Her eclectic style has gained a steady following- it seems as if whatever she wears (say, peter pan collars), are instantly in style. 

"It" seems like an appropriate title for her book given that Chung is certainly an "it girl"- Karl Lagerfeld and Marc Jacobs sing her praises, Mulberry named a bag after her, she's collaborated with Madewell and been hailed as "the Kate Moss of the new generation."

A glimpse into Chung's world shows the reader that fashion is a complex form of self expression. Living in a world where we are often judged on how we dress, fashion gives us the opportunity to tell people who we are and where we come from without even having to speak. And that is something unexpectedly profound.

I highly recommend this book.

In addition to It, I received many new fiction books I had been eyeing on various bestseller lists. 
Here they are:


Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P by Adelle Waldman

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Happy reading!
xoxo
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips