Friday, December 27, 2013

Post-Holiday Recovery

For the record, I had a truly incredible birthday full of surprises (including a totally unexpected visit from a certain, greatest boyfriend). I feel so loved and am so grateful for all of the wonderful people who made yesterday special. What a day!

Admittedly, I'm also a little exhausted.

The Christmas Eve-Christmas Day-Birthday marathon is so fun while it's happening, but afterward my body always reminds me that 4 or 5 hours of sleep simply aren't enough.

So, what do I do to relax, recover and rejuvenate so I can start off the new year at my best?

Sleep
I look and feel my best when I have had a few good nights of sleep. I'll definitely be hitting the hay earlier these next few days to make sure I get 8-10 hours while I can. If you have trouble falling asleep read this post I wrote over the summer.

Drink More Water
Over the last few years, I have developed a love for Diet Coke. Despite the research that says I'm basically drinking poison, I just love how it tastes. However, I don't love how it has been making me feel. It messes with my appetite and makes me feel tired when I drink too much of it. I will be majorly cutting back on my Diet Coke consumption- I know I'll be feeling better in no time!

Health(ier) Eating
Goodbye, gingerbread cookies. After the holidays, I find that my sweet tooth is simply maxed out. While I don't see myself ever becoming a health nut, there are times when I do reach for natural, healthy foods. After the holidays is certainly one of those times. Here are the foods I'll be reaching for to re-energize.

Exercise
I have not exercised in the longest time (whoops). I'm going to make a huge effort to just get outside and run, walk or hike and to the gym a few times a week. Working out is one of my favorite stress releases and I'm always in a good mood afterward.

Massage
I hold all of my stress in my shoulders and upper back. Getting a massage helps release built up physical and mental tension. 

Spa: Hair, Nails, Facial
Post-holiday pampering is so great. In fact, it's one of the times I think I actually need to get my very chipped nails done at a salon. I've already booked my hair cut and color appointment as well as a mani/pedi and a facial. I am so excited!

I'm excited to start the new year feeling great!
xoxo
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips