Friday, September 6, 2013

FIt Friday: Get Energized

As many of you know or have probably figured out, I love coffee. From straight black to foamed milk, I love it all! The added energy boost is a benefit too! However, research shows that caffeine isn't great for us, especially in excessive amounts. A cup of coffee per day won't kill you, but reaching for that fourth cup before lunch isn't a great habit (trust me, I've been there). Artificial energy can leave you jittery and spastic (or maybe I'm just spastic all the time...). Anyway, here are some great health foods that give you natural energy and some mini work outs that will get your brain pumping in no time.


Chocolate

So remember the no caffeine thing? Yeah I was sort of kidding. Chocolate doesn't have a lot of caffeine compared to say... coffee or soda or energy drinks, so snack away on the darkest piece of chocolate you can find (milk chocolate has practically no caffeine and will leave you feeling gross).

Gogi Berries
I'm obsessed with these. I add them to my oatmeal every morning! So good! Read this study about gogi berries boosting energy levels.

Citrus
Filled with natural sugar and tangy taste, citrus fruits are packed with Vitamin C which is important for immune health and also provide a hydrating pick me during that work slump.

Blueberries
Blueberries are a low glycemic index food and are packed with antioxidants to keep your body strong. Pair with some nuts for the perfect fiber + sugar + healthy fats mix.

Edamame
Healthy fat + carbs + protein = the perfect brain food. Your body will burn this perfectly and you won't experience a slump afterwards.

Whole Grain Cereal/Oatmeal
This high fiber option won't spike your blood sugar and cause you to crash later. Paired with blueberries or some heart healthy nuts, you can't go wrong!

Water

Drink. More. Water. Lately, I've been drinking H20 like it's going out of style. I can't reinforce how good water is for your entire body. Some additional benefits of water beyond increased energy are decreased appetite, clear skin and mental clarity.


Good luck!
xoxo
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips