Friday, August 16, 2013

Fitness Friday: Get a Better Night's Sleep Tonight!


Sleep. Doctors can't emphasize enough just how important sleep is. It keeps our mind sharp, our skin clear and our weight in check. It helps us make better decisions and stress less. Sleep does make us more beautiful inside and out. So why is it that we can never get enough?

In college, it seems like everyone's motto is: I'll sleep tomorrow. After my midterm. Once I get home for break. When I'm dead.

The best time to sleep isn't next year, next month, next week or even tomorrow. It's tonight. However, breaking the cycle of sleepless nights is really difficult. Trust me, I've had trouble sleeping on and off my whole life. As a light sleeper, workaholic and chronic worrier it seems that my mind won't stop racing the second I hit the sack. However, the past few months I've really gotten my sleep under control and here's how:

1. Get the facts: Professionals say 9.5 hours of sleep per night is ideal. Can't get that much? Aim for 8. Make sleep a priority. Set an alarm clock and head to bed 15-20 minutes earlier than usual. It takes 14 minutes for the average person to fall asleep. Go to sleep and wake up at the same time every night.

2. Move it: Make time to work out at least 5 days per week- don't work out too close to bed though! Make sure you have 2 hours to unwind. Releasing energy and emotions helps your mind relax when it's time to turn in. Drink lots of water to replenish lost fluids.

3. Unplug: An hour before you go to sleep turn off your computer, put your iPhone on Do Not Disturb and log off Facebook.

4. Relax: During your relaxation hour, wash your face and brush your teeth. Take a shower or bubble bath. Moisturize. Make a cup of tea. Massage your tired body with lotion- I've found that using a specific scent every night before I sleep (I use Baies by Diptyque, it's sprayed on my pillows), gets me sleepy instantly. Slip into your favorite PJs and spend a half hour reading a good book. If you're hungry, make sure to snack at least 45 minutes before you sleep.

5. Lights Out: Make sure your room is dark and cool. Choose comfortable pillows and a warm blanket. If you continually toss and turn, turn the lights back on and read a good book until you feel tired again.

A note on naps: Some people love them. Others hate them. If you nap right, your nap can lead to deeper sleeping at night. Limit yourself to 45 minutes- if you sleep more, you'll feel groggy the rest of the day. Make sure this nap is at least 6 hours before you're planning on going to sleep for the night. If you feel tired in the afternoon, working out is a better bet for a boost of energy. And speaking of energy...

Also, caffeine: I've been drinking coffee forever (start 'em young, right?). I just love the way it tastes. While I'm not sure if it really wakes me up, I get awful headaches mid-day if I skip my morning latte. Caffeine can linger in your body for up to 12 hours (you read that right: twelve!). So keep that in mind when you consider reaching for that energy drink at 3 PM. If you're having a really hard time sleeping, make drinking coffee the first thing you do in the morning and eat it with something to absorb some of the caffeine. This will allow for it to wear off by the end of the day.

Sleep tight!
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips