Friday, January 10, 2014

Feel More Organized Right Now


For those of you who read my New Year's resolutions post, you'll remember that January was my organizational month. For the most part, I have been much more organized (the boyfriend agrees) but I have not posted very much about it on here.

For me, organization is really a state of mind. I know there will never be a point where I have everything together, but sometimes I can have a lot of things together. And when I start small, I am encouraged to get bigger things in order.

Here are 10 things you can do right now to kickstart your organization:

1. Clean out your bag
Take everything out of your bag and make sure nothing is left inside (even random gum wrappers/dust particles). Then wipe down the outside- if it isn't cloth- with a warm paper towel and some gentle soap. Then fill it only with the things you need.

2. Do laundry
Drop off your clothes at the dry cleaners, run a load of wash or just get everything into a hamper. Keep dirty clothes out of sight is the main point. And when you get everything cleaned, put it all in it's right places on nice hangers or folded neatly.

3. Change your sheets and make your bed
A nicely made bed can make any room look 10 times cleaner. I make my bed first thing when I get up and change the sheets weekly. That way, my day is off to a relatively neat start.

4. Go through your email
Unsubscribe from websites that email you multiple times per day, delete irrelevant emails and respond to things you've been putting off. Essentially, make sure your inbox has zero notifications. This gives me serious piece of mind.

5. Clean out your desk
If you have more time, clean out your desk. Even cleaning out one drawer a day is progress. Just make sure to keep things neat by taking the extra 10 seconds to put things back where they came from.

6. Update your agenda
This is one of my favorite things to do. I write down every assignment, social event, appointment, meeting, friend's birthday, etc. in my agenda. I usually do this about once per week but sometimes more because information always seems to be coming in. Writing these events down not only helps me remember them, but also allows me to make sure I can commit to everything I want to do.

7. Sort through your make up/skincare products
I have a make up/skincare drawer that I weirdly enjoy organizing. I lay everything out neatly and then wash all of my make up brushes so things are sterile (I recommend BeautyBlender Brush and Sponge Cleanser). This also prevents bacteria from getting into my make up which makes my skin much clearer.

8. Clear floorspace
Getting things off the floor (i.e. clothes, bags, shoes) and into where they need to be is a great way to get organized fast. Taking out the trash and opening up floorspace makes a room look much bigger and cleaner. Plus, picking things up takes about 5 minutes.

9. Organize your closet
This takes some time, but nothing makes me feel more organized than cleaning out my closet. Taking everything out, trying it all on, and then rearranging it neatly makes getting dressed so much easier and more fun.

10. Actually clean
Wipe down your counters, clean the windows and dust off your lamps. Nothing feels (or looks) better than a sparkling clean environment.

Happy Friday!
xoxo

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips