Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Speed Up Your Morning

Let's be honest, getting up in the morning is hard, especially in the winter. 
My bed is so warm and the outside world is so cold and hitting the snooze button on my phone is so easy. However, I always regret spending those extra 15 minutes resisting the inevitable rather than just getting out of bed and into the shower. 

Here's how to get out of bed and out the door as fast as possible:


Night before: prepare for the next day.
Read through your calendar for the next day, noting appointments and other commitments. Consider starting your to do list at night (doing this helps me clear my mind before I sleep). Then, pack your bag and pick out your outfit (accessories included). This will prevent a closet explosion in the morning and will save you a lot of time.

When the alarm goes off: hit snooze
You don't have to get up and into the shower, but sit up in your bed after you've hit snooze once and stay up. It seems like that initial wake up point is the hardest, so ease yourself into the day. Check your email or simply stretch. Once your alarm goes off a second time, get out of bed.

When you get out of bed: make your bed
Make your bed immediately. This makes me feel like I'm starting my day out organized. Also, the physical movement wakes me up a bit. Next, I put in my contacts and head to the shower.

In the shower: wash your hair first
I wash my hair before I do anything else and let the conditioner soak in while I wash my face and body. This somehow saves me a lot of time- I can shower in 3-5 minutes if need be!

Out of the shower: let your hair down
Rather than keeping my hair wrapped in a towel, I brush it out, apply products and let it air dry while I moisturize my face and get dressed. By the time I dry my hair a lot of the water is out and it takes less than 10 minutes.

Drink up
I don't eat breakfast often (bad, I know), but I always make a point of drinking a lot of water right when I get up. After 6-8 hours of not drinking anything, rehydrating is really important and makes me feel much more alert, even before I have coffee.

The last few minutes
If you finish early enough and want coffee, get it. But only if you have time. Nothing looks worse than walking into class or a meeting late because you were obviously waiting around at Starbucks. Take that extra time instead to clean up your room or add to your to do list. 

Good morning!
xoxo

 `
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips