Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Moisture Surge: Moisturizers for The Driest Season

Back in October, I wrote a post touching on cold weather skincare products (and other essentials for winter). However, this winter has been much more severe than I expected (warning: I will continue to complain about the cold until around mid-April). 

Between the wind and the cold and the snow blowing in every which way, my skin feels like it has taken a physical beating. And it isn't looking its best either. It is seriously dry.

For the record, I have pretty sensitive/combination skin (usually on the drier side). Now, I've been doing everything I can to keep my skin hydrated. There's nothing worse than that awful tight feeling after you wash your face when it is dry. 

So here are my moisturizer picks for every skin type and a few ingredients you should be looking for when choosing your own:


Moisture Surge


Dry
Look for products that contain glycerin. This helps bind water to your skin better. Dimethicone is good for all skin types as it fills in uneven gaps. To lock moisture in, petroleum is a great protectant (yes, the stuff derived from gasoline). The molecules are too big to block pores, so it will simply create a barrier from the drying environment.

Oily
For oily skin, look for oil-free or water-based moisturizers and gels, especially steering clear of mineral oil (which is often linked to breakouts). Avoid occlusives like petroleum that are greasy. 

Normal
Make sure your skin doesn't get too oily by avoiding aforementioned occlusives. You'll want to look for humectant-filled products that hold a lot of water and absorb into skin quickly.

Combination
A moisturizer that also contains a treatment is the way to go for combination skin. I love Kate Somerville's Goat Milk that has exfoliating lactic acid (gets rid of all the dry skin) in addition to moisturizing ingredients. 

Sensitive
The key here is layering. Avoiding anything with scents (unless naturally calming like camomile) will ensure that your skin doesn't react badly to a product. Furthermore, layering lighter formulas rather than putting a thin layer of a thicker formula will prevent breakouts.

Bonus!
If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you'll know that I really love glam glow products. They're the best and most effective face masks I've ever tried. I love that they really deliver the results they promise. I have used the whole range (judge me), and am totally sold. Clear pores? Check. Bright under eyes? Check. Soft, exfoliated skin? Check.

And now, lots of moisture!

This mask is a totally different texture than the others (not really a clay, more like a clear gel) that smells like honey and vanilla. Amazing! Put it on for 10 minutes (it will start to tingle) and then wipe off the top layer with a Kleenex. Then you can either rub it in and sleep with it on as a moisturizer or wash all of it off. I've tried both and it is certainly effective.

Stay cozy!
xoxo

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips