Thursday, January 30, 2014

January 2014 Favorites

How is January almost over already? I feel like New Year was just yesterday!

January has been a great month of making positive changes in a lot of aspects of my life (nothing to encourage change like the new year, right?). 

---Fashion---

Hunter Boot Polish / Fur Vests / Cable Knit

This month I am loving all things warm and cozy! The weather has been in the single digits on and off lately, and layering warm clothes keeps me comfortable indoors and outside. And between the slush and the salt, my rubber boots and leather flats have taken quite the beating. Luckily, Hunter Boot Polish works on both leather and rubber and leaves looking shiny and conditioned- looking just like new!

---Beauty---

Kate Somerville / Glamglow Hydramud / L'Occitane / Dior

This month has been terrible for my skin. Initially it was drying and stung whenever I put moisturizer on. However, after using Glamglow's Hydramud mask and switching over to Kate Somerville's skincare line, my breakouts are a little more under control and my face is much more moisturized. In terms of keeping my hands moisturized, I've been loving L'Occitane's classic shea butter products. And for blush, Dior's HealthyGlow looks just that- natural!


---Miscellaneous---

Farm to Table
New England is huge on farm to table fresh food. I've been obsessed with a few restaurants that use local ingredients- everything tastes delicious and is so much lighter than deep fried, sauce-covered dishes. Recent obsession: turkey, brie and apple sandwich on ciabatta. So good.

Healthy Hair
Maybe this should be under the "beauty section" but as it isn't really a product, I've listed it here. I usually love curling my hair or putting a lot of product in it to look less pin-straight, but since getting a few really good haircuts, I have been pretty obsessive about keeping my hair healthy, especially in this dry weather.  Pureology's Hydrate shampoo and conditioner have been just the trick for a lot of natural shine.

Giving Up Diet Coke
I was not so sure I was going to stick to this resolution or that it would make a huge difference in my life. I have a (terrible) sweet tooth and love all things sugary. Artificial and process sugar in large quantities is simply unhealthy and weakens the immune system (read: sickness and breakouts- yuck!). I decided to give up Diet Coke in 2014 and actually haven't slipped once. There were initially times when I really wanted it, but between sparkling and regular water, I've been hydrated and stayed away from lots of sketchy chemicals. I can't emphasize how much good I feel. I don't get that late afternoon/early evening crash anymore which is so nice and I have so much more energy. Yay!

LDF: Long Distance Friendships
This month, I felt like a lot of my friendships changed. Not only do a lot of my "home" friends go to different schools than I do, but some of my college friends (including one of my best friends) are now studying abroad. I was a little nervous for this term because she is such a big part of my life and I was going to miss all of our bizarre traditions and the fun we have together. I've missed her so much and school is definitely not the same, but through FaceTime and iMessage we have been able to stay in touch constantly (thank you technology)! In fact, I think we are possibly closer than ever. Technology has made the many long distance friendships I have much easier to maintain and I feel like I have kept in touch with people (a New Year's resolution!) a lot better than I have previously and just love that.

Happy January!
xoxo




09 10 11 12
Blogging tips