Saturday, September 14, 2013

Macarons, J'Adore!



If you follow me on Twitter (@proseandpearls) or Instagram (@prosepearlspolkadots), you've probably been aware of my on and off French macaron obsession over the last few years.

It all began one beautiful day in Paris in the spring of 2010. I was only in town for a few days after an extended trip to Scotland, but those days changed my culinary world forever. I've been a fan of Fauchon since I first went to France when I was little. The edgy yet oh-so-chic decor (pink and black- I die), immediately pulled me in. However it wasn't until my 2010 trip that I indulged in one of their to-die-for macarons. My life was forever changed.

Fauchon in Paris

Macarons are essentially two light almond-based, flaky meringue-like cookies with creme in between. They come in a variety of flavors and either a large size (think: a little larger than an Oreo) or bite-size (think: two-bite merengue cookie). I think the bite size are way cuter!

Pierre Herme & Laduree


While I love authentic and exotic Parisian macarons from Pierre Herme (my favorite) or Laduree, back home in the states these perfect pastries are hard to find, especially if you're looking for a really high quality treat.  Luckily, my local patisserie makes really great ones (obsessed with the violet flavor). Here's a box I picked up yesterday to take back to school with me:

Oh la la!

Some general information about macarons: In my opinion, the best flavors are pistachio and violet, followed by raspberry and vanilla or chocolate-hazelnut. Passion fruit and salted caramel are also delicious. I'm not a huge fan of coffee macarons (yet I love coffee as a beverage), but to each their own.

In terms of storage/shelf life, macarons should be stored in a dark and cool place, preferably refrigerated and will last up to a week before becoming stale. For long term storage, freeze them. They'll last up to 6 months. 

Bon Appetit!
xoxo





09 10 11 12
Blogging tips