Friday, September 13, 2013

On Ending Summer and New Beginnings

Happy Friday everyone! In place of a Fitness Friday, I have a different post today. I'm taking an early flight to head back to college on Saturday morning, so here's an update and reflection now that summer has officially come to a close.

First, an update:

I think I'm just going to be up front and say that I most likely will not be posting every day while I'm at school. I think I can commit to 3 posts a week, but school takes precedence over the blog (sad, but true!). "Like" Prose, Pearls and Polka Dots on Facebook or follow @proseandpearls on Twitter to stay up to date!

And now I get a little sentimental:


This summer was amazing. From traveling across Western Europe to taking a mother daughter trip to Los Angeles to going to concerts to spending time with my best friends to laying in bed all day reading or watching Gossip Girl s to driving around while blasting Florence + the Machine and Band of Horses ("You've Got the Love" is one of my favorite songs ever), this has been my favorite summer by far. 

I've spent a great deal of time indulging in my favorite things since coming home in June. I think that's been one of the best and most important parts of this summer. 

If we're being honest here, college can be hard. There's no one to keep you grounded or true to yourself. I've grown up in the same community since I was little, so almost everyone already knew who I was. But when I got to college, things were different and it was unsettling because no one knew me. I was across the country- far from my friends and family- and on my own for the first time ever. 

Throughout my first year, I realized just how many questions I hadn't examined and how many corners of myself I hadn't explored. One of my most trusted friends called the summer after freshman year "the summer of healing and rebuilding." I have absolutely done some mind/body healing over the past few months by letting go and filling my life with things and people I love. I've been savoring every moment of the fleeting present. I find myself getting overwhelmed by emotion, primarily happiness, all the time. Whether it's during a favorite song (fun fact: nothing makes me more emotional than music, I'm a wreck) or a meaningful conversation with a loved one, a feeling of happiness has permeated this summer. But all good things eventually come to an end, and I now say a bitter au revoir to this sweet summer.

My end-of-summer blues are mingled with the excitement of getting back into the swing of things with my school friends and new classes. I look forward to new friends, new adventures and new knowledge that the future holds for me.

And there really is no better place to be in the fall than New England. 

Cheers to a new school year!
xoxo

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips