Thursday, October 10, 2013

Cold Weather Essentials

I can't talk enough about how much I love fall. But the one thing I don't love so much? How quickly autumn turns into winter. These last few days have been noticeably chillier. And while ice cold winter is definitely a long ways away, there are a few things every one should have on hand for those extra frosty fall mornings and nights.
Wool or Cashmere Scarf
Okay, so not exactly going to keep you completely toasty, but a wool scarf is amazing for protecting your exposed neck when it's chilly. And if it gets seriously cold, you can even pull the scarf over your nose and mouth.

Gloves/Mittens
I personally prefer gloves to mittens when it's just a little chilly, however when the temperatures really do drop, there's other way to go than with a pair of toasty, knit mittens. Pick up a pair before you get frostbite (seriously!).

Heavy Coat
A classic Barbour jacket has been an essential for many of my friends- both guys and girls. They really are made for any kind of outdoor adventuring. However, a wool peacoat will absolutely be fine (unless you're in Antarctica). 

Hats
I wish hats were more of a thing. They're so cute! Kate Spade makes the most adorable knit beanies with bows on them. Looks cute and keeps me warm? I'll definitely wear it.

----
Lip Balm
An intensely hydrating lip balm is necessary in the winter. I would highly suggest Elizabeth Arden's Intensive Lip Treatment. It's super hydrating for dry cracked lips (gross). 

Body Scrub
Buff away dry patches with an in-shower, grainy body scrub that will reveal soft, smooth skin. This is best applied after you've been in the shower a couple of minutes when skin has softened.

Lotion
A lotion filled with honey and shea butter is your best bet for something ultra hydrating. Just because you show less skin in the colder months doesn't mean that dry skin is suddenly a go (it's actually not healthy!). Keep skin silky smooth by applying lotion every night before bed or right when you get out of the shower to lock in moisture.

Facial Moisturizer
A heavy duty facial moisturizer for chapped cheeks is also a great thing to have on hand. If I'm out late in the cold with friends my skin usually needs a little bit of TLC after. I reach for Kiehl's Creme d'Elegance. Fair warning though- use a heavy moisturizer sparingly (I mean tiny amount!) or else it can break you out.

Happy autumn!
xoxo


09 10 11 12
Blogging tips