Monday, October 7, 2013

Intense Study Tips

Hey smarties! Midterm season is upon us, can you believe it? It's time to hunker down in the library with a playlist full of study tunes (I recommend Lorde and Zooey Deschanel Radio Stations on Pandora) and some detailed notes. Here are my tips for taking a little bit of stress out of midterms:


In Class
Take notes on the lecture, not on slides. Most professors post their powerpoints online, so go through these before or after class. Take notes by hand on important lecture notes without focusing on neatness/structure. After class, review the notes and type them up neatly. Studies show that reviewing right after you learn something increases long term memory. 

At Home Readings
I'm big on dividing up tasks. I divide reading into chapters and packets/handouts into sections. I read everything twice- the first time I read thoroughly, highlighting important phrases I want to come back to, jotting questions in the margin and circling things. During the second read, I only go over my highlights and 'star' the most important points. I then use 4x6 notecards (one per chapter/article) and jot down the starred points to make for easy reviewing. I come back to these before tests to see how comfortable I feel with a given reading. If I need more information, I can go back to the text and read though my markings/highlights.

Problem Sets
I always have a separate notebook where I can solve problem sets without worrying about making a mess. I write in pen so that I can't erase my work. Once I figure out how to do the problem, I write (in pencil) how I solved it on the problem sheet, usually with notes explaining my thoughts as I go along.

Get Ahead
Every Saturday, I go through all of my syllabi, write down big assignments for the coming week and figure out how I am going to tackle them. This reassures me that there will be no surprises. I write these in my planner along with any social/extra curricular activities I have planned. That way, I can make sure I have time for everything with minimal stress and as much sleep as possible. 

Studying for Midterms
Pull out the class syllabus/assignment sheet (again) and identify areas you need to focus on most for the class you have a midterm in. Then, write down a few chapters to read/problem sets to complete each day leading up to the test. Review familiar areas as you go along. The day before the test should be spent reviewing everything. 

Study Breaks
I take a break about every hour and a half or so. I make sure to walk outside/get some fresh air or have a snack for about 15-20 minutes to recharge. Study breaks are really important because they allow us to work longer and smarter. If we overload our brain with information, things get muddled and we burn out quickly.

Happy studying!
xoxo 


09 10 11 12
Blogging tips