Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Book Review: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro


Kazuo Ishiguro's novel, Never Let Me Go, is one of those really hyped up books that I read because it was so highly recommended even though I thought I wouldn't like it. However, I was proved wrong. I loved this book. In a sort-of-futuristic, sort-of-parallel-universe England, three best friends Kathy, Ruth and Tommy, attend an exclusive boarding school called Hailsham where they are watched over by guardians. According to the guardians, Hailsham students are 'special,' just what that means is unclear to both the readers and characters. Eventually, these students along with numerous other students across England, donate their vital organs for a 'greater good' (sort of Orwellian, don't you think? side note: happy birthday George Orwell!!).

Anyway, that's more than enough plot summary to both intrigue you and make you think this is some strange sci-fi dystopic novel.  Which it isn't.  Initially, I wanted to categorize this with The Hunger Games, but I realize that's not really what this novel is like. The England described is clearly twisted, but there's something that makes this novel only slightly unbelievable. Think a more mature Harry Potter minus the magic. I appreciated the mystery in this book and I do love a good mystery.  There is so much that the characters don't know and don't notice and that I was trying to piece together along the way. However, the characters are smart.  They don't take a hundred pages to uncover Hailsham's secrets, in fact, they often were able to piece things together before I did which I really loved.  There's a big focus on timing in the book: Hailsham students receive information about their futures at the perfect time- while they're too young to fully comprehend, but old enough to be receptive. I felt that way throughout the book, like Ishiguro was feeding me clues at the right time- after I knew there was a new secret to uncover but before I realized I had the right tools. This book kept me on my toes.

Finally, I loved how everything in the book worked out. The twisting plot left me guessing and expecting the worst, but things turned out perfectly although differently than anticipated.  The writing is also flawless and the narrator's (Kathy's) tone reminded me of observant Nick Caraway's tone in The Great Gatsby. Please do read this book. I highly recommend it.

xoxo 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips