Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The 7 Books You Should Read in College

As an avid reader, I often find myself thinking that there are just so many great books out there and so little time to read them. Part of the reason I love summer is that there is so much time to get absorbed into a book. However, as I've gotten older, my summers have gotten busier and I'm sure yours have too. So here's my eclectic list of 7 essential books that everyone should make time to read in college (note- I've tried to avoid listing books that most people read in high school, I'll have a list of books you should read before college up soon):

1. Emma by Jane Austen: Emma is an important book as it addresses making plans. And I love plans. In college, we start making our own plans-- whether they are for lunch or for life. However, as I've said in earlier posts, things often do not go according to plan. Nonetheless, there is usually some better, perhaps even greater, plan that we might not immediately see. Emma reminds us that life's surprises can be better than the plans we imagine. In fact, we should plan to be surprised.

2. Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie: Growing up can be exciting and new independence can be liberating. At the same time, it can be scary. The classic children's story Peter Pan allows a reader to escape back into the days when Mom and Dad took care of everything and we could spend all day playing pretend.

3. Sin and Syntax by Constance Hale: This book helps readers and writers "craft wickedly effective prose." I love this book because it is funny, relatable and easy to read. This book reads much less like a writing manual and much more like a novel.

4. Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov: Almost in direct contrast with Peter Pan, Lolita is the haunting story of an old man's romantic obsession with a young girl. A story of corrupted youth and stolen innocence, this is the kind of book high school teachers rarely assign meaning college is the perfect time to dig into this racy book.

5. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fizgerald: Although this is often required reading in high school, you'd be surprised by the nuanced messages you'll discover if you revisit this novel having experienced life a little more. This classic book always reminds me to look beyond superficial glamor to find fulfillment. At the same time, it reminds readers to let loose every once and awhile and party a la Gatsby.

6. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling: This is a great book when you're having a rough day. It reminds me that the road to success and happiness is filled with funny, frustrating and fear-filled moments. Kaling is hilarious and by the end of the book I just wanted to be her best friend.

7. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath: Plath is one of the best writers I've ever come across. Her novel The Bell Jar tells the story of Esther Greenwood who slowly goes mentally insane. This book really made my doubt myself as I didn't notice Esther's insanity until the end of the book. I think that's really important though- sometimes we need to be reminded that we don't always know everything- I know I do.

Happy reading!
What are your "must read" books?

xoxo
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips