Friday, June 28, 2013

Gruezi from Switzerland! Europe Trip 2013

Today, I find myself writing from the foot of the Swiss Alps in Lake Luzern, Switzerland! My family and I have stayed here for three nights, exploring the lake, beautiful town and the Alps themselves.

Day 1:  I arrived in Lake Luzern in the evening and ate a late dinner at a delicious italian restaurant (featuring the most incredible swiss chocolate and maple walnut ice cream). After dinner, my family checked into the hotel, then I unpacked, wrote a few post cards and fell asleep.

Day 2:  I ended up sleeping in pretty late (well 10 AM), so my day didn't really begin until after my Parmesan and arugula salad and cappuccino. I began my exploration of the city with a guided tour that highlighted Luzern's famous features: Chapel Bridge, the water tower, Ritterscher Palace, Needle Dam, Spreuer Bridge, Musegg Wall and the Lion Monument. Afterwards, I walked around the downtown area, popping into different Swiss watch and souvenir shops, and then headed to the two bridges for more in depth exploration. 

History Lesson: Named after the local St. Peter's chapel and constructed in the 14th century, Chapel Bridge is the main pedestrian footbridge that crosses the lake. The ceiling of the bridge is covered in 17th century paintings that portray local history and culture. The much older Spreuer Bridge, completed in 1408, is a bit more removed from the city. The roof of this bridge also is covered in paintings that depict a 'Dance of Death.' After touring the bridges, I ate dinner lakeside with a gorgeous view of swimming swans and the mountains above.

Exploring the Chapel Bridge! (note the paintings on the ceilings)

Another view of the Chapel Bridge.

Day 3: Today, I explored the Lion Monument and Glacier Garden, ate lunch at the Old Swiss House and visited the Alps.

History Lesson: The "dying lion of Luzern" commemorates those lost at the Tuileries in 1792 is perhaps the icon Luzern. Many have come to admire the lion, including Mark Twain. 

In the rocks behind the lion is Glacier Garden of Luzern that shows the region's prehistoric climate and also features a "Swiss Chalet" museum depicting unique topographical maps, different rocks and fossils as well as a historic Swiss mirror maze. Finally, the Old Swiss House restaurant lies in front of the Lion Monument and Glacier Garden as a Luzern staple. 

History Lesson: The restaurant, where I had a late lunch, has served numerous celebrities and dignitaries including three American presidents and Frank Sinatra. The restaurant, serving traditional Swiss and French food (the chocolate mousse is a must) prepared table side, houses many Swiss artifacts including a ceramic stove from 1636. 

We also went up into the Alps (my brother went bobsledding!) to see the incredible view.

Standing across the pond from the Lion Monument (I can't even imagine how this was carved...)

In the Glacier Garden learning about prehistoric Luzern!

Some of the rock samples in the museum.

Outside the famous and dizzying mirror maze (I'll admit I got very lost and kept running into walls).

After a delicious lunch at the Old Swiss House!

On top of the world!


Day 4: Off to Fussen, Germany! 

See you in Germany! xoxo
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips