Thursday, June 6, 2013

Hello World! Welcome to Prose, Pearls & Polka Dots!

Hello there, my name is Ashley! Welcome to my blog! Allow me to share a bit about myself...

I've loved classic pieces my whole life- both in literature and fashion. As a stressed-out, Type-A college student, I created this lifestyle blog, "Prose, Pearls & Polka Dots," as a creative outlet to share favorite books, my personal style, beauty tips and my own writing.

I was raised in a tight-knit family of four on the west coast of the United States. I spent my childhood laughing, imagining, reading and dressing up in my mom's shoes and hats. My love of fashion developed when I attended a private school that required a strict uniform, leading me to become obsessed with black ballet flats, to experiment with different beauty products and to creatively accessorize with headbands, jewelry and my personal favorite: scarves. My earliest memories are all connected to books- from the smell of my grandma's old copy of Black Beauty to the dim flashlight I held while reading under the covers in grammar school (which unfortunately led to terrible eyesight).

Fast forward to now: I am a sophomore in college, pursing a double major in government and english, and a minor in classical studies and an aspiring journalist, writing for my college's daily newspaper. However, the more I've grown and the more I've seen of the world, the less I'm certain of who I am. I often find myself changing my opinion almost as fast as I change outfits. I sometimes think this is bad- that I should be more sure instead of less- but I have eased the uncomfortable doubts that life raises through writing. I've grown to find comfort in words and the way my thoughts so easily flow from my brain, through my fingers and onto paper. The smell of fresh newsprint, an old book and my elementary school library remind me of the words that have yet to fail me. As an old-fashioned girl trying to adapt to a rapidly changing world, I guess I can now say when the going gets tough, the tough get blogging.

I look forward to sharing life's adventures with you.

(There I am in the yellow! Age 6)
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips