Thursday, June 13, 2013

Summer Book Review: Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov

(courtesy of http://flavorwire.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/lolita-mendelsund.jpg)

I don't know if I've ever felt about a book the way I feel about Lolita. Then again, Lolita isn't like any other book I've read. I'm filled with the strangest mix of feelings now that I've finished. And that's just it- I'm filled with these undefined feelings that aren't love or hate or anything in particular.

Lolita has marked a lot of firsts for me, beginning with my not liking a single character in a book for the first time. I disliked Humbert Humbert, the twisted, aging man who fantasizes over young girls that he calls "nymphets;" selfish and manipulative Lolita, who actually initiates the physical relationship with Humbert; and Lolita's equally conniving mother Charlotte.

The way I read Lolita was also different. Usually, I get so deep into a book that I forget I'm even reading it and suddenly it's over. With Lolita, I kept having to come up for air to process what I was reading. And to be honest, I think I'm still processing as there is so much complexity to the story.

Two things about the novel really stood out: Humbert's commentary and the featured book reviews on the back cover. Humbert's commentary was so interesting to me because taken out of context, it didn't seem wrong at all. During part of the book, Humbert says that Lolita will never be allowed to go on dates unless heavily chaperoned. I've heard many parents joke about similar things saying, "you can't date until you're 30." What really got me thinking though was how much context matters. This book isn't twisted because of what is being said, but how it is being said. Humbert is serious about keeping Lolita away from her peers, while most parents wouldn't be.

The book review by Vanity Fair also got me thinking. Vanity Fair praises the novel with, "the only convincing love story of our century." In thinking about this, I'm not really sure whether or not this book is about love. On impact, it seems like it's about Humbert's obsession or infatuation with Lolita. In fact, initially, I thought "well if it was love he wouldn't have done this to her, he would've let Lolita go." But the funny thing is, he does let her go. Which leads me to think this book isn't about love, but about tension. Specifically the tension between selfishness and selflessness that are subcomponents of love. So maybe this is book is about love, but I wouldn't say this love is convincing whatsoever.

Despite my mixed feelings, I am truly happy I read this book. The topic of was definitely out of my comfort zone, but the novel was perfectly written. One critic wrote that the prose was "ecstatic," and I really can't think of a better way to describe Nabokov's writing. There is such energy in every deliberately-chosen word and the reader can actually feel the tension between the characters and their closely held secrets.

The verdict: I do recommend this book and hope you enjoy it.
xoxo

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips