Friday, July 12, 2013

Literary Spotlight on McSweeney's Internet Tendency



I love a writer with a unique voice. In my journey to discovering my own writing "voice," I have found inspiration by reading pieces written in a distinct style. I'm a longtime fan of the website McSweeney's Internet Tendency. Internet tendency is essentially a collection of works by different writers that range from lists to graphic diagrams to stream-of-consciousness prose. Some of my favorite columns are:
  1. Short Imagined Monologues: These witty monologues supposedly given by objects or people give a range of voices to each subject, often times voices that are unexpected.
  2. Lists: These random lists highlight the importance of personal voice in short snippets of words.
  3. Open Letters to People or Entities Who Are Unlikely to Respond: These letters are great examples of the importance of attention to detail they hit on the fine points of different subjects to create a nuanced tone.
  4. Reviews of New Food: This column is sidesplitting as each food is analyzed with ridiculous seriousness. This column inspired me to work on descriptive language by calling on vivid verbs and powerful nouns so writing stays concise writing.
  5. Sarah Walker Shows You How: I love this column because after reading it for a long time, I now know what a "Sarah Walker" piece sounds like. No matter what she writes about, I love reading Sarah Walker's work. Hopefully one day people will feel that way about my work!
I recommend you check these out! Enjoy!
xoxo




09 10 11 12
Blogging tips