Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Review of The Happiness Project & Keeping it Neat: Three Rules that Will Change Your Stress Level

First, a review:


I'm kind of cheating with this review here because I recently re-read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. One part personal narrative, one part examination of happiness, this book makes me smile and cringe all at the same time. I love this book because it is hilarious and has amazing ideas for having more fun and stressing less (tips I sometimes really need). At the end of the book I felt like Rubin and I were friends, her writing style is conversational and charming. But at the same time, this book reminds me of, well, me. Rubin starts off (and stays) a Type A perfectionist- trying to manage everything and remain in control. Her ultimate goal is perfection, which doesn't always lead to happiness. This book is a great reminder, though, that I can make little changes and let go of the little things. That finding happiness doesn't mean losing everything, just some things. This book is a really great read if you're looking to reflect.

Keeping it Neat: Three Rules

I'm big on routines. It's nice to know that there is a set time for something. However, lately I've been making an effort to give myself big chunks of free time to spend with friends and family and myself. There are three rules, partially inspired by The Happiness Project that I've followed for about a year, and I think you should follow them too:

1. Make your bed immediately when you get up: This sounds so lame, but not only does de-cluttering your room help you start your day with a de-cluttered mind, but it also "checks" one thing off your mental to do list. A task completed before brushing your teeth? Yes!

2. If it takes less than one minute, do it now: This one helps me with keeping my closet in order mostly, but I've found it applies to other things too. When I'm in a rush and am trying on outfits, I'm usually just tempted to leave a heaping pile of clothes I decided not to wear on my bed/carpet. When I started following this rule, the pile disappeared. It takes about 10 seconds to hang up a shirt or a dress. It takes about 20 seconds to throw my dirty clothes into the laundry room. These seconds add up to hours of saved time later!

3. Spend fifteen minutes- yes, set a timer- cleaning up before bed: Psychologically this is so helpful. Even if there is a lot I haven't accomplished in a day, I go to sleep knowing that tomorrow I'll start out with a clean environment. I actually set a timer to make sure I don't spend too long or too short on this. I usually tackle my bathroom counter and dressing area (where most of my messes are made) during this time, but sometimes I work on unloading the laundry.

Be happy!
xoxo


09 10 11 12
Blogging tips