Thursday, July 25, 2013

Perfect Pout

Perfect Pout


I don't like wearing a ton of make up in the summer. Something about a lot of eyeshadow and mascara sounds sort of sticky in the heat. Therefore, I've been really into bold lips lately. Paired with just minimal eye make up (just a little liner &/or mascara) and a tinted moisturizer, a bold lip is a fast, easy way to make anyone look put together. Here are my top tips and products for perfecting your pout:

Tips:
Exfoliate: It is really important to scrub your lips before applying any kind of product. I usually just use a damp wash cloth and warm water or my tooth brush, but there are also special lip scrubs that are gentle for really sensitive lips.

Moisturize: To make sure color doesn't settle into fine lines in/around your lips, apply a light layer of lip balm and let it absorb for a minute. Then use a kleenex to blot off any excess.

Lipstick: Lipstick always used to be so intimidating to me. If you aren't used to applying color straight from the bullet, try a lip brush for build-able color. I dab a few dots on my lips and then sort of rub it around until it fades more into a stain. I add more color if I want a more intense look.

Lip Liner: I always thought lip liner was kind of tacky until I learned the right way to apply it. I was reading an article in a magazine by Bobbi Brown (she's the best) that suggested applying a matching liner after lipstick to prevent color fading mid-day. This really works!

Lip Gloss: Applying just a little bit of gloss in the center of the bottom lip gives the appearance of fuller lips. Apply a dot in the center and blend outward.

Products:
Lip Scrub: I recommend Mint Julep by Lush & Fabulips by Bliss.

Lip Balm: EOS lip balm is great and the packaging is cool but bulky (I like the mint flavor), Kiehl's lip conditioner has a bit of a cult following and resembles Carmex in texture, L'Occitane Shea lip butter is my favorite and is essentially fragrance free.

Lipstick: MAC lipstick is available in a wide range of shades (I recommend: everyday- See Sheer, bright pink- Speed Dial, berry- Craving and neutral- Twig). For a more luxurious pick, try YSL lipstick. Kate Spade's lipstick in Bashful Blush is a your-lips-but-better color and looks very natural. Aqualillies for Tarte is a great coral color that stays put all day- even at the beach! NARS lipsticks are the best long-lasting formula I have tried. My favorites are pinky neutral- Niagra and red- Jungle Red.

Lip Gloss: MAC's lustreglass tastes amazing and the applicators are really cool (like little paint brushes). Dior's lipgloss is a great texture- not too sticky! Soap & Glory's Sexy Mother Pucker (what is that name...) has gained a lot of popularity lately for its long lasting qualities. NARS' gloss in Super Orgasm (another awkward name) is my favorite lip gloss ever. It looks great over any lipstick or on its own. Finally, Benefit's California Kissin is a really cool minty lipgloss that claims to help with fresh breath. The blue pigment in the gloss also helps teeth look whiter!

Lip Pencil: First up, Clinique's chubby sticks aren't really pencils but they look great over lipstick. NARS' lip pencils are awesome, however, they don't match the brand's lipsticks very well so I opted for Make Up For Ever's incredible lip pencils. They only come off with make up remover and don't look flaky by the end of the day! Obsessed! Finally, Bobbi Brown, NYX and MAC's lip pencils are all pretty comparable. I opt for MAC as they go well with MAC lipsticks.

Smile big!
xoxo
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips