Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Maintain Your Mane: Tips for Salon Status Hair

Maintain Your Main



You know that just-out-of-the-salon feeling? Where your hair is silky soft and ultra shiny? Imagine having that every day. It took a lot of experimenting, but I think I've figured out how to get permanently silky hair between cuts by using the right products at the right time.  This post describes my hair care routine and products I have tried and recommend for different hair types:

In the shower
Shampoo: I have to shampoo my hair every day since it is so fine and I have bangs, but people with nice, thick hair can usually get away with shampooing every other day (my friends who are lucky enough to be able to do this have amazing hair). I use Bumble & Bumble Tonic Shampoo which is really good for stimulating/clarifying the scalp so hair doesn't go flat and it's color-safe (I have highlights). For dry hair, I recommend Phyto Ultra Nourishing Shampoo and for color-treated hair I recommend Pureology New Volume Shampoo. Massage shampoo in vigorously for 30-45 seconds and let sit for about a minute.

Condition: Your scalp naturally conditions your hair to chin length, so for hair below chin length, conditioner is needed. Pull your hair into a low ponytail and coat strands with a quarter sized amount of product. I use Pureology Essential Repair Conditioner but also recommend Ouidad Climate Control Conditioner for frizzy hair and CHI Infra Treatment for hair that is often heat-styled.

Out of the shower
Prime: Before heat styling, I try to get most of the water out of my hair by towel drying. Then, I massage a hair primer in and comb. When I'm in humid weather, I use Living Proof Prime Style Extender, but most days I use Bumble & Bumble Prep.

Protect: I usually let my hair air dry about 60% before blow-drying (mainly my bangs which don't look so great air-dried). I use Bumble and Bumble Styling or CHI 44 Iron Guard before blow drying depending on what I have on hand. They're both great products.

Blow dry

Shine: Moroccan Oil has become a huge trend because it makes hair super shiny.  While I like this product, I also love Bumble and Bumble Shine (I'm a huge fan of the scent of the BB line).  I apply this to the ends of my hair for major shine.

Hold: Back up a few steps, my fine-haired friends. Before blow drying, massage an egg-sized amount of Living Proof Thickening Mousse into your hair for thick style that stays all day. To tame any flyaways or frizz, use every hairdresser's favorite hairspray: L'Oreal Elnett.

Before Bed/In The Morning
Repair: About 8-12 hours after this little ritual, repair your hair to prevent split ends. I love Carol's Daughter Split End Sealer. It smells great and works amazingly! However, if you don't want a creamy product in your hair, use Ojon's Repair Oil on your ends. It's also great.

xoxo
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips