Saturday, August 31, 2013

August 2013 Favorites

August is (almost) over! Therefore it is time for my August favorites. Here's what I've been loving this month:

--------------------------- Fashion ---------------------------

August 2013 Fashion Favorites

This month has seen a lot of new accessories that I can't stop using. They can really change the whole look of the outfit. I've been into tortoise shell claw clips to keep my hair out of my face on hot days, metallic bow belts, pearl flower earrings, my awesome new tortoise shell glasses and my big splurge piece: a Kate Spade Little Minka Bag! As for clothing, I have been into black (haha what else is new!), especially flowy black pieces. I purchased a black babydoll dress at Madewell that is so comfortable. I usually don't like unstructured pieces, but this is perfect for those "blah" days or can be dressed up with a blazer/belt combo. I also have been loving a sheer bow blouse I got during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. It goes so well with shorts or tucked into a summery skirt but will also work in fall and winter layered under a jacket or sweater!

--------------------------- Reads ---------------------------
This month, I've been into column archives. This is so specific and weird and random, but it has definitely been adding to my mental store of random facts. Score!

Vanity Fair's Proust Questionnaires

I've been really obsessed with reading all of the articles that make up Vanity Fair's Proust Questionnaire Collection. The interviews give a comprehensive, detailed look at the personalities, tastes and thoughts of successful people in a variety of fields.

Writer Hadley Freeman

Another favorite this month is Guardian columnist and features writer Hadley Freeman, author of The Meaning of Sunglasses: A Guide to (Almost) All Things Fashionable (2008) and Be Awesome: Modern Life for Modern Ladies (2013). I first discovered Freedman when browsing through British Vogue. She wrote a stellar piece in July called Single Minded that discusses single women in the workplace. While I don't quite agree with everything she writes, I love Freeman's message that women can be successful and look fabulous. She truly captures the essence of the modern woman. I look forward to reading more of her work!


--------------------------- Beauty ---------------------------
August 2013 Beauty Favorites
This month, I've been into cream blush which is more natural looking than powder (mine is Jemma Kidd for Target), a Nars face palette I got at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, Rosebud Salve (great for chapped lips), Benefit's Girl Meets Pearl illuminator (got it as a sample from Sephora), Diorshow's New Look Mascara, Bobbi Brown Make Up Remover (another Sephora sample), Bumble & Bumble's Straight Blow Dry Cream and neutral nails (Sephora by OPI's Leotard Optional is the best).

ALSO! I've recently started using coconut oil to moisturize the last few days. Not kidding- organic, unprocessed coconut oil from the grocery store. It was awesome on my face (although I'm going to stick to my own moisturizer because it's perfect!) but I will continue to use it all over my body, especially on my legs! It keeps them silky smooth.

--------------------------- Music ---------------------------

Lorde
Okay, so I heard this little lady's song "Royals" on the radio and loved it. However, after listening to all of her tracks available on Spotify, I'm obsessed with "Million Dollar Bills."


--------------------------- Fitness ---------------------------

Almond Butter
One of my girlfriends recommended I try this out. I've never had almond butter before and it is safe to say I'm addicted. While I'll always be a PB girl at heart, Justin's Maple Almond Butter is a welcome addition to my pantry.

Hot Tea
I'm pretty sure I have a disease where I get constant sore throats. I'm not sure why but it is super frustrating and painful. I take plenty of vitamins, sleep a lot and drink H20 all day! Yogi's Throat Comfort helps ease the discomfort though.

Vitamin D Supplements
My doctor told me I should take Vitamin D supplements so I've been taking 2000 IU daily. I'm not a doctor and am not going to recommend them to you, but it's just something I've added to my morning routine in addition to my Gummy Vitamins!!


Welcome September!
xoxo






09 10 11 12
Blogging tips