Saturday, August 10, 2013

Keeping It Neat: Closet Organization


You know that moment in Clueless when Cher has completely emptied out her closet full of beautiful clothes and can't find anything to wear? I can relate. Every so often I find myself getting into a fashion funk. When I wear my favorite outfit (a sleeveless jumper with a polka dot chambray shirt underneath, tights, a pearl necklace and Melissa Button Frye Riding boots) weekly. Or when I opt for my favorite Kate Spade Scout Crossbody Bag every time I leave my house instead of changing things up with a bigger or brightly patterned purse. Or when I wear the same pair of metallic Sam Edelmans with every skirt I own. Fashion should never be routine. To make sure you're spicing things up, while staying true to your personal style, a closet make over is much needed. Here's what I recommend for every piece you own:

First, a few general notes: you will wear what is visible. So display it all! Also, there are some things that should be in your closet, but there are other things that can easily be folded. Ask yourself: does this wrinkle easily? If so, it belongs in your closet. Prioritize- if you have extra room after nicer pieces are hung, then add the sweatshirts, jeans and casual tops.

Now let's talk details:
  • Tops: Hang these in color order or by type. For example, tanks then short sleeve then longsleeve. Personally, I organize my tops by color and they are at the most visible part of my closet.
    • Blouses
    • Silky tops
    • Flannels
    • Sweaters
  • Outerwear: These can go in the back as they aren't always worn everyday (especially during summer). Hang these in order of what you wear most (for me, blazers) to what you wear least (again for me, vests).
    • Vests
    • Blazers
    • Overcoats
    • Leather
  • Skirts: Hang short skirts on skirt hangers and fold maxi skirts over a coat/pant hanger. I arrange mine by color and have them on an extender rod below my tops so I can easily pair things).
    • Short
    • Maxi
  • Dresses: Dresses should have their own area in the closet and should be divided into three sections: in-season everyday/maxi, cocktail, out-of-season everyday/maxi. Currently, I have my sundresses in "style" order (from strapless to 3/4 sleeve followed by my casual maxis, then cocktail dresses, then wintery dresses)
    • Sundresses/every day dresses
    • Cocktail Dresses
    • Maxi dresses
If you have extra room, consider hanging your pants or even less formal tops (usually cotton type button ups). Also, for hangers, I love huggable hangers that prevent clothes from slipping off- check them out!

Happy organizing!
xoxo












09 10 11 12
Blogging tips