Friday, August 9, 2013

Fit Friday: Let's Talk About Kale

I have been loving all things kale lately. Kale has incredible health benefits. On top of being low calorie (36 cals/cup!) and having no fat, kale is also high in iron and Vitamin K that protect against cancers, Vitamin A, Calcium, Vitamin C, sulfur, fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. You really can't beat this green goddess of nutrition.

But let's be honest. I know I don't just snack on raw kale leaves, and you probably won't want to either. We're in luck though, because kale's nutritional value is heightened when it is steamed. Here are some awesome kale recipes and products you'll want to try out!

I am so tempted to make a huge batch of this and drink it throughout the week! It looks delicious!

I've had this juice a few times (there's a place that makes great juice near my college) and it's awesome. The perfect post workout recovery drink!


This reminds me of spinach and artichoke dip- but healthier! I really want to try this recipe, maybe I could somehow incorporate kale into pesto! Yum.


This colorful salad is packed with super foods, protein and fiber that will keep you full until dinner. Just add a squeeze of lemon juice. 


I've had light soup before and it is delicious! I don't eat that much meat, so I wasn't sure how I would like the sausage but it paired so well with the beans and the kale. If you're vegetarian/vegan, try veggie sausage. I bet it's great too!


I mostly don't eat hamburgers (usually veggie burgers if anything), but this is a welcome, healthy addition to my recipe book! Can't wait to try these out.


Who doesn't love pasta? This is a great change from plain old marinara or pesto. With whole wheat noodles this would make a perfect dinner or cold pasta salad.

But
As much as I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen, I can also get lazy. Enter Kale Krunch. At first, I was suspicious. The kale in the package looks strange (it's dehydrated) and is sprinkled with orange powder (I'm obviously not making this sound that appetizing). But this vegan snack tastes amazing. I don't even like cheese that much. It's like Goldfish and Cheez-Its combined, but better and only a little over 200 calories for a huge bag. You should totally try it:


Bon appetit!
xoxo

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips