Sunday, August 18, 2013

College Chic: You're on Campus, Now What?

For those of you on the semester system, orientation and the first week of school have arrived (we lucky quarter school kids have an extra month, but this post will be useful when it's your turn!). If you're anything like I was last year, you are probably nervous. Where do I meet people? Will my roommate like me? Where are my classes? I'm how far away from home? These questions ran through my mind throughout my first week on campus. Luckily, things somehow worked out: I made a close group of friends during orientation, my roommate and I got along, my classes were relatively close to my dorm building, and somehow the lack of floorspace in my tiny dorm wasn't a problem. This didn't all happen instantly though- it took some effort. So here are my tips for your first week covering classes to new friends and everything in between...

I totally wish my dorm room was that chic

Roommates | Your roommate is probably the first person you'll meet on campus. If you didn't talk to them over the summer, now is the time to make a good impression and set the tone for the year. Don't be afraid to be direct and set some boundaries/ground rules. It's way easier to deal with issues before they come up. You're living together so it's in your best interest to get along. And who knows, she could be the sister you always wanted! Schedule a roomie dinner ASAP. It shows her you're excited to get to know her and takes the stress out of walking the dining hall alone. Oh and a note for if things take a turn for the worse: If you feel disrespected or unsafe after trying to get along with your roommate, don't be afraid to contact housing and request a change- lots of people end up switching! 

Floormates | These are the people you will be sharing a bathroom, kitchen and common area with. Get to know them! It's fun to stay up and order midnight pizza with people in your hallway and be able to walk 10 feet into your room afterwards. Offer to help them during move in and go to floor meetings. Universities want you to make friends with your floormates, so they usually include floor meetings/socials into the orientation schedule. Missing these makes it seem like you don't care and also means you're missing out on making new friends.

Meeting New People in General | You're going to meet hundreds (not kidding) of people that first week. While you aren't expected to remember everyone's name, try to. The next time you see them, say hello and reintroduce yourself. I'll admit that initially I felt uncomfortable doing this as I thought it would be embarrassing if someone forgot my name or didn't recognize me. But in the end, the person who forgets is the one who feels embarrassed and they'll be sure to remember you in the future. Try saying this, "Hi __________, I'm not sure if you remember me but I'm _________ and we met _________." That way you'll come off as thoughtful and not creepy.

Books | Pick up your books ASAP. The campus bookstore does and will run out of them. They probably will not restock. So, what's a girl to do? As soon as you find out your books aren't available order them online from Amazon. Try to get them shipped to you as fast as possible so you have them on the first day of class. But if they don't arrive in time, don't worry. Many people "class shop" during the first week of school and try out different classes so they won't buy the books until they are officially registered. Professors usually understand and you can make a new friend by asking to borrow a book.

Classes | Your classes will meet different days at different times at different places. Get this straight before classes start so you aren't late/absent and don't have an ulcer trying to figure things out last minute. Pull out a campus map and walk from various campus locations to each of your classes- don't just walk to the outside of the building! Walk to the classroom you're assigned (sometimes classes meet in bizarre locations- like lecture halls in the basement). Make a mental note of any landmarks along the way and also time how long it takes to get to class. You'll want to arrive about 5 minutes early, so plan accordingly. Also, make sure to bring a notebook, laptop and required readings to the first day of class. The professor will tell you what they expect for the rest of the term.

Parties | We all knew this would come up at some point- your first college party. Now before you go do the whole Asher Roth thing, read the next few sentences. Be. Careful. Creepy upperclassmen, campus security and overeager freshmen will be lurking at parties during orientation. Don't be the person who gets caught intoxicated (don't forget- you're underage) by the police and have to face disciplinary action right when school starts. Even more importantly, though, remember that the people you go out with are essentially strangers. While you should be trying to make friends and should not be paranoid, you should remember that you barely know anyone and if you go a little crazy, your wellbeing is majorly at risk. When it comes right down to it, drinking alcohol is illegal if you are a minor.You are not lame for following the law. It's totally acceptable to go out sober. In fact, people will respect that you can control yourself and appreciate that they don't have to deal with a drunk mess (as someone who has cleaned up friends' messes, it is not fun). 

Starting Fresh | Finally, after you realize your roommate isn't going to kill you in your sleep, you're relived you made it to your classes without tripping up the stairs and you're confused that most people don't actually wear togas to toga parties, your back in your dorm room processing the newness of college. Your eyes fall on a photo of your family and all of a sudden you feel far away and alone. Who or what keeps you grounded when your family and friends aren't around? College is hard because the answer to that question isn't what you want to hear: you've got to keep yourself grounded. And how on earth do you do that? Don't forget where you came from. I remember one time someone telling me, "you are who you are because of who you were." I thought that was kind of lame- I'm all about defying the odds and overcoming circumstances! My past does not define me! I quickly learned, though, that my new beginning in college meant I got to take all of the best things about my past with me- my loving family, my loyal friends- while leaving behind the things I didn't like so much- my insecurities. Being homesick, nervous, confused and generally emotional means that you're a normal, imperfect human being. Embrace yourself and prepare to enter a world of opportunity!

When it comes down to it, college is about balance. Your first week will not and should not be perfect. That would be so boring! And in regards to the inevitable hiccups along the way- they always make for great stories.

Good luck & have fun!
xoxo 

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips